January 2019 Events (BC-wide, Online)
Bookmark this post! It will be updated as more events are announced. You can also get frequent updates via our Twitter. Have a suggestion? Email us.
- January 4 – 30 (various dates): UBC’s Peter A. Allard School of Law presents three events at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
- Friday, January 4 (12:30 – 1:30 pm) Noon Hour Lecture with Chief Justice McLachlin – DLA Piper Hall, Room 104
- Tuesday, January 15 (6:00 – 7:00 pm) What we talk about when we talk about rights: infinite loops and uncertain futures for feminist legal strategies, a lecture by Professor Sonia Lawrence, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University – DLA Piper Hall, Room 104
- Wednesday, January 30 (12:30 – 2:00 pm) First Nations Court: a part of 2019 Indigenous Awareness Week, co-presented by Indigenous Legal Studies & the Indigenous Law Students Association – Franklin Lew Forum
- January 7 – 29 (various dates): People’s Law School presents free classes for the public in Burnaby and Surrey.
- Monday, January 7 (7:00 – 8:30 pm) Family Law – Burnaby Public Library – Bob Prittie Metrotown Branch
- Monday, January 21 (6:30 – 8:00 pm) Wills and Estates – Surrey Library – Ocean Park
- Wednesday, January 23 (6:30 – 8:00 pm) Employment Law – Surrey Library – City Centre
- Wednesday, January 23 (6:30 – 8:00 pm) Wills and Estates – Surrey Library – Newton
- Thursday, January 24 (6:30 – 8:00 pm) Strata Law – Surrey Library – Semiahmoo
- Tuesday, January 29 (6:30 – 8:00 pm) Strata Law – Surrey Library – Guildford
- January 10 – 23 (various dates): Plan Institute presents information sessions and workshops by phone/computer and in Vancouver.
- Thursday, January 10 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning Workshop – Plan Institute Office, 312 Main Street, Vancouver. Cost: $65.00 per person or $90.00 for two.
- Wednesday, January 23 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) – teleseminar by phone/computer. Cost: free.
- January 10 – 26 (various dates): MOSAIC presents various workshops in Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver.
- Thursday, January 10 (3:00 – 5:00 pm) Canadian Citizenship Information Session – MOSAIC Boundary, Vancouver
- Friday, January 18 (5:30 – 8:30 pm) and Friday, January 25 (5:30 – 8:30 pm) Citizenship Preparation (English with Mandarin support) – Tommy Douglas Library, Burnaby
- Monday, January 21 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) Workshop on Immigration Law – MOSAIC Surrey
- Saturday, January 26 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm) Citizenship Preparation (English with Mandarin support) – Brentwood Community Resource Centre, Burnaby
- Monday, January 28 (7:00 – 8:30 pm): Vancouver Public Library (VPL) and Simon Fraser University Library present Data Privacy Day: Privacy in Peril at the VPL Central Branch, Vancouver.
In honour of Data Privacy Day, please join privacy experts and advocates Mike Larsen and Micheal Vonn for a lively discussion about surveillance, ‘smart’ technology, and what it will take to make meaningful advances in the promotion and protection of privacy. Presentations will be followed by Q & A. Get more information here.
- January 28 – 31 (various dates): BC Ombudsperson sends a mobile investigation team to Burnaby, North Vancouver, and Vancouver.
- Monday, January 28: Burnaby
- Tuesday, January 29: North Vancouver
- Wednesday & Thursday, January 30 & 31: Vancouver
Do you think you have been treated unfairly by the provincial government, your local government, or another public organization in BC? If yes, we may be able to help. We are currently scheduling in-person appointments to hear your complaints. All appointments are free and confidential. Get more information here.
- Wednesday, January 30 (9:00 am): British Columbia Civil Liberties Association (BCCLA) presents Rights Talk: Youth and Civil Liberties Conference at SFU Harbor Centre, Vancouver.
The conference brings together hundreds of high school students for an all-day conference featuring workshops that tackle issues ranging from anti-oppression, migrant justice, to know your rights and marginalization in the law. Email Iman Baobeid to register today at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (604) 630-9750. Get more information here.