SOPA program for Newcomers
MOSAIC, a non-profit committed to empowering refugees and immigrants publishes a guide on legal issues for newcomers, and also operates a Legal Advocacy Program as well as a Legal Clinic for Temporary Foreign Workers.
MOSAIC now offers a Settlement Online Pre-Arrival program!
The SOPA program is for newcomers who are approved or in the process of applying to immigrate to Canada and settle in British Columbia.
SOPA provides free online facilitated and self-directed courses focusing on job search and communication skills to help prepare newcomers for Canada.
Currently, the following courses are offered:
- Working in Canada (self-directed)
- Canadian Workplace Integration (self-directed)
- Job Search Strategies (facilitated)
- Soft Skills: Working with Others (facilitated)
- Soft Skills: Professional Communication (facilitated)
These courses will help newcomers to:
- build realistic goals with the right tools for their job search;
- establish a connection with employment programs and immigrant service providers; and
- integrate to the local labor market and workplace with more ease.
If someone comes to you with questions about what resources are available for family members or friends who are not yet in Canada, but are in the process of applying to immigrate and settle in BC, go to http://arrivepreparedbc.ca to learn more about program eligibility requirements or email firstname.lastname@example.org.